Last updated: October 20, 2020
The privacy of your personal data is important to us. In this policy, we explain: what data we collect and why; how your data is handled; and your rights to your data. We promise we never sell your data. This policy applies to www.greencitizen.com website, operated and maintained by GreenCitizen, Inc.
What we collect and why
We collect only what we need for the www.greencitizen.com site to serve both our visitors. Here’s what that means in practice:
Identity & access
When you sign up for a profile on www.greencitizen.com, we typically ask for identifying information such as your name, email address. For employer accounts, we also ask for a company name. That’s just so you can personalize your new account, and we can send you invoices, updates, or other essential information. We sometimes also give you the option to add a profile picture that displays on our site, but we do not normally look at or access that picture. We’ll never sell your personal info to third parties, and we won’t use your name or company in marketing statements without your permission either.
When you pay for a www.greencitizen.com product (such as a job posting), we ask for your credit card and billing address. That’s so we can charge you for the product or send you invoices. Your credit card is passed directly to our payment processor and doesn’t ever go through our servers. We store a record of the payment transaction to detect fraudulent credit card transactions, and to print on your invoices.
We log all access to all accounts by full IP address so that we can always verify no unauthorized access has happened. We keep this login data for as long as your product account is active. We also log full IP addresses used to sign up an account. We keep this record forever because they are used to mitigate spammy signups.
Web analytics data — described further below — are also tied temporarily to IP addresses to assist with troubleshooting cases.
When you browse our website, your browser automatically shares certain information such as which operating system and browser version you are using. We track that information, along with the pages you are visiting, page load timing, and which website referred you for statistical purposes like conversion rates and to test new designs. We sometimes track specific link clicks to help inform some design decisions. These web analytics data are tied to your IP address and user account if applicable and you are signed into our Services.
Cookies and Do Not Track
We do use first-party cookies to store certain preferences. A cookie is a piece of text stored by your browser to help it remember your login information, site preferences, and more. You can adjust cookie retention settings in your own browser. To learn more about cookies, including how to see which cookies have been set and how to manage and delete them, please visit: www.allaboutcookies.org.
When you write www.greencitizen.com with a question or to ask for help, we keep that correspondence, including the email address, so that we have a history of past correspondences to reference if you reach out in the future. We also store any information you volunteer like surveys.
greenjobs.greencitizen.com service providers
We use third party service providers, such as cloud computing providers and customer support software, to run www.greencitizen.com. These service providers are all located in the United States.
Information we do not collect
We don’t collect any characteristics of protected classifications including age, race, gender, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, or gender expression. You may provide these data voluntarily, such as if you include a pronoun preference in your email signature when writing into our Support team.
We also do not collect any biometric data. You are given the option to add a picture to your user profile, which could be a real picture of you or a picture of something else that represents you best. We do not extract any information from profile pictures: they are for your use alone.
When we access or share your information
Our default practice is to not access your information. The only times we’ll ever access or share your info are:
- To provide products or services you’ve requested. We do use some third-party services to run our applications and only to the extent necessary process some or all of your personal information via these third parties. Having subprocessors means we are using technology to access your data. No human at our company looks at your data for these purposes.
- To help you troubleshoot or squash a software bug, with your permission. If at any point we need to access your account to help you with a Support case, we will ask for your consent before proceeding.
- To investigate, prevent, or take action regarding restricted uses. Accessing a customer’s account when investigating potential abuse is a measure of last resort. We have an obligation to protect the privacy and safety of both our customers and the people reporting issues to us. We do our best to balance those responsibilities throughout the process. If we do discover you are using our products for a restricted purpose, we will report the incident to the appropriate authorities.
- When required under applicable law. If the appropriate law enforcement authorities have the necessary warrant, criminal subpoena, or court order requiring we share data, we have to comply. Otherwise, we flat-out reject requests from local and federal law enforcement when they seek data. And unless we’re legally prevented from it, we’ll always inform you when such requests are made.
Your Rights With Respect to Your Information
At GreenCitizen, Inc., we apply the same data rights to all customers, regardless of their location. Currently some of the most privacy-forward regulations in place are the European Union’s General Data Protection Regulation (“GDPR”) and California Consumer Privacy Act (“CCPA”) in the US. USJobLink recognizes all of the rights granted in these regulations, except as limited by applicable law. These rights include:
- Right of Access. This includes your right to access the personal information we gather about you, and your right to obtain information about the sharing, storage, security and processing of that information.
- Right to Correction. You have the right to request correction of your personal information.
- Right to Erasure / “To be Forgotten”. This is your right to request, subject to certain limitations under applicable law, that your personal information be erased from our possession and, by extension, all of our service providers. Fulfillment of some data deletion requests may prevent you from using USJobLink services because our applications may then no longer work. In such cases, a data deletion request may result in closing your account.
- Right to Complain. You have the right to make a complaint regarding our handling of your personal information with the appropriate supervisory authority. To identify your specific authority or find out more about this right, EU individuals should go to https://edpb.europa.eu/about-edpb/board/members_en.
- Right to Restrict Processing. This is your right to request restriction of how and why your personal information is used or processed, including opting out of sale of personal information. (Again: we never have and never will sell your personal data).
- Right to Object. You have the right, in certain situations, to object to how or why your personal information is processed.
- Right to Portability. You have the right to receive the personal information we have about you and the right to transmit it to another party.
- Right to not be subject to Automated Decision-Making. You have the right to object and prevent any decision that could have a legal, or similarly significant, effect on you from being made solely based on automated processes. This right is limited, however, if the decision is necessary for performance of any contract between you and us, is allowed by applicable law, or is based on your explicit consent.
- Right to Non-Discrimination. This right stems from the CCPA. We do and will not charge you a different amount to use our products, offer you different discounts, or give you a lower level of customer service because you have exercised your data privacy rights. However, the exercise of certain rights (such as the right “to be forgotten”) may, by virtue of your exercising those rights, prevent you from using our Services.
Many of these rights can be exercised by signing in and directly updating your account information. If you have questions about exercising these rights or need assistance, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or at GreenCitizen, Inc. 1831 Bayshore HWY, Suite 2, Burlingame, CA 94010 USA. To identify your specific authority to file a complaint or find out more about GDPR, EU individuals should go to https://edpb.europa.eu/about-edpb/board/members_en.
How we secure your data
All data is encrypted via SSL/TLS when transmitted from our servers to your browser. The database backups are also encrypted. Most data are not encrypted while they live in our database (since it needs to be ready to send to you when you need it), but we go to great lengths to secure your data at rest.
- Your data are sent using HTTPS. Whenever your data are in transit between you and us, everything is encrypted, and sent using HTTPS.
- We protect your billing information. All credit card transactions are processed using secure encryption—the same level of encryption used by leading banks. Card information is transmitted, stored, and processed securely on a PCI-Compliant network.
- Reporting security problems. Send urgent or sensitive reports directly to email@example.com. Please provide us with a secure way to respond. We’ll get back to you as soon as we can, usually within two (2) business days.
When you delete data in your product accounts
We give you the option to “trash” (delete) data. Anything you trash on your account while they are active are no longer accessible via the site. We also delete your data after an account is cancelled. In this case, there is no period of data being kept in an accessible trash can so your data are purged immediately. This applies both for cases when an account owner directly cancels and for auto-cancelled accounts.
We comply with the frameworks for EU, UK, and Swiss data that are transferred into the United States
USJobLink is subject to the investigatory and enforcement powers of the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) with regard to the Privacy Shield Frameworks. The Privacy Shield Frameworks uphold specific principles, many of which are already outlined in the section on Your Rights. For clarity, pursuant to the Privacy Shield Frameworks, the following principles apply to all EU, UK, and Swiss data that has been transferred into the United States:
- Individuals have the right to access their personal data and to update, correct, and/or amend information that is incomplete. Individuals also have the right to request erasure of personal information that has been processed in violation of the principles. Individuals wishing to exercise these rights may do so by by signing in and directly updating your account information. If you have questions about exercising these rights or need assistance, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or at GreenCitizen, Inc. 1831 Bayshore HWY, Suite 2, Burlingame, CA 94010, USA.
- We remain liable for the onward transfer of personal data to third parties acting as our agents unless we can prove we were not a party to the events giving rise to the damages.
- We do not sell personal data nor do we permit it to be used for reasons other than those for which it was originally provided. If this practice should change in the future, we will update this policy accordingly and provide individuals with opt-out or opt-in choice as appropriate.
- We may be required to release personal data in response to lawful requests from public authorities including to meet national security and law enforcement requirements.
We commit to resolving all complaints
Location of Site and Data
Our products and other web properties are operated in the United States. If you are located in the European Union or elsewhere outside of the United States, please be aware that any information you provide to us will be transferred to the United States. By using our Site, participating in any of our services and/or providing us with your information, you consent to this transfer.
Changes & questions
We may update this policy as needed to comply with relevant regulations and reflect any new practices. Whenever we make a significant change to our policies, continued use of the Services will require you to accept these revised policies.
Mediavine Programmatic Advertising
For information regarding data collection by Mediavine ad partners including how to opt out of data collection, please click here.