In observance of President's Day, we are closed on Monday, February 19, 2024.

Portugal reaches 61% renewable energy use in 2023, with strong winds, sunshine, and rains boosting green power.

Portugal's commitment to renewable energy has set a new benchmark. In 2023, renewable sources provided 61% of the country's electricity. This achievement, an increase from 49% the previous year, was announced by the grid operator REN on Tuesday.

This surge in renewable energy usage was fueled by a combination of heavy rains, strong winds, and ample sunshine. Portugal is not only surpassing its own records but also leading in Europe. The country aims to generate 85% of its electricity from renewables by 2030.

statement
The importance of renewable energy has grown across European nations, especially after gas prices soared. The hike in prices followed Russia's invasion of Ukraine. Russia was a major gas supplier to Europe. In Portugal's energy landscape, wind power played a significant role last year. It accounted for a quarter of all electricity. Hydropower contributed 23%, while solar and biomass provided 7% and 6%, respectively.

The nation also witnessed a significant shift in its natural gas market. Consumption decreased by 21% from 2022. Most gas imports (95%) arrived through the deepwater port of Sines. The remaining 5% came through connections with Spain.

At the COP28 climate summit in Dubai last month, over 100 countries made a collective pledge. They agreed to triple their renewable energy capacity by 2030. However, they face challenges like labor shortages and high project costs.

Samira is an Electronics and Communications Engineer by profession, but deep inside, her heart is a nomad! She's a state champion debater, a public speaker, a scriptwriter, a theatre actress, but most importantly — A GREEN CITIZEN! She thinks of herself as a storyteller who thrives on enjoying the life at fullest and telling everyone the tales of life.

Subscribe to
our newsletter