You’ve responsibly recycled your electronics with GreenCitizen. Now what happens to them? Fortunately, we can re-use and re-sell 30% of the electronics we receive. The other 70% are recycled using only vendors with R2 and e-Stewards certifications. But what does that even mean?
The EPA began tackling the electronic waste crisis in 2008 by developing the “Responsible Recycling Practices for Use in Accredited Certifications Programs,” or R2. This program was intended to promote best practices while providing potential customers with important information.
In 2013, R2 was updated by the R2 Technical Advisory Committee (TAC). This update improved the quality of the certification and provided additional best practices. R2:2013 went into effect January 1st of that year, with R2:2008 certifications no longer being recognized.
The e-Stewards certification began as a pledge organized by the Basel Action Network (BAN) in 2003 to establish and encourage best practices for e-waste recyclers. The pledge involved no disposal in landfills or incinerators, no prison labor, and no export of toxins to poor communities. Beginning in 2006, BAN expanded the pledge into the independently audited e-Stewards certification.
With stringent qualifications and multiple audits, we guarantee that your electronics are recycled responsibly with both R2 and e-Stewards certified companies in San Francisco.
For more information about r2 and e-Stewards certifications along with e-waste recycling best practices, give us a call at (650) 493-8700.
Written by Hannah Francis
December-14-2021Patriot Power Generator Review (2022): Worth Your Money?
March-31-2022Lithium-Ion Battery Recycling: The Complete Guide
January-07-202210 Best Eco-Friendly Laundry Detergents (2022)
December-05-2021How to Build a Lean-to Greenhouse?
September-02-2020How to Build Your Own DIY Solar Generator?