What We Recycle for Free at our Eco-Centers
Plasma, LCDs, CRTs, etc.
iPad, Amazon Kindle, etc.
IP Phones, Cell Phones, Smart Phones, etc.
DVD Players, VCRs, Receivers, Amps, Record Player, etc.
Console Video Games:
Xbox, PS3, Wii, etc.
Wiring & Cables:
any wire, cord, power cable, charger, etc.
Hard Drives, Circuit Boards, Power Supplies, CPUs, etc.
Speakers, Keyboards, Mice, USB Drives, Cables/Cords, Modems, etc.
any make or model
General Office Equipment:
Scanners, Faxes, Printers, Paper Shredders, etc.
Microwaves, Refrigerators, Toasters, Blenders, Electric Tooth Brushes, Curling Irons,Hair Dryers, etc.
any make or model
Remotes, Ink Cartridges,Toner Cartridges, Cameras, Electronic Birthday Cards, and more!
Other Recycling Services
Hard Disk Destruction
Cell Phone Destruction
$10 per cubic foot
(or a bankers box)
$5 per 30 gallon plastic bag
-Each hard disk will be physically destroyed at GreenCitizen then shredded in a certified hard disk destructor.
-When this process is complete you will be provided with a certificate of destruction for your records.
-The logic-board memory, sim card, and any removable data storage are all destroyed.
-Phone numbers, names, and other information are completely deleted.
-CDs or DVDs (if still in packaging, paper sleeves, or jewel cases)
-30 gallon bags for measurement available at all eco-centers
-Any shape accepted (peanuts/blocks/etc.)
-Must be clean (i.e. no food contamination etc.)
-A minimum $5 charge applies
-EPS Number 6 Styrofoam only
Items We Cannot Accept
- VHS Tapes, Cassette Tapes, any Other Tape Format, or Floppy Disks
- 35mm Slides, Film Negatives, or Movie Film
- Furniture: Chairs, Couches, etc.
- Non-Rechargeable Electronic Batteries: Carbon Zinc, Zinc Air, Disposable Batteries
Single-use alkaline batteries accepted at Berkeley, San Francisco, and Mountain View eco-centers.
- Light Bulbs: Incandescent, Compact Fluorescent Light Bulbs, Fluorescent Light Tubes
- Items containing liquid mercury: Thermometers, Thermostats, etc.
- Smoke Detectors: models that contain americium 241
- Hazardous Waste: Paint, Motor Oil, Sharps, Bio Hazardous Waste, etc.
- Medical Electronics: bodily contact devices such as Glucose Sensors
Tips for Easy Drop-off Recycling
- Carts, dollies, and assistance from our friendly staff is always available at any of our eco-centers.
- Please keep power cords, power adapters and accessories together with their respective devices.
- Our Berkeley, San Francisco, and Mountain View eco-centers can accept single-use alkaline batteries. Please place them in a bag separated from your other items.
- We can take rechargeable batteries at all of our eco-centers. These should also be in a separate bag.
- Please separate cords, wires, and other cables from other material to prevent tangling and general ennui.
- To avoid fees, DVDs and CDs should be removed from their jewel cases and paper sleeves.
- In general, any pre-sorting of your materials is a big help!
GreenCitizen Services Cities In The Following Counties From Our Four Eco Centers:
San Francisco County
- Bernal Heights
- The Castro
- Cole Valley
- Deco Ghetto
- Fisherman's Wharf
- Golden Gate Park
- The Haight
- Hayes Valley
- Inner Richmond
- Inner Sunset
- The Marina
- The Mission
- Nob Hill
- Noe Valley
- North Beach
- Outer Richmond
- Outer Sunset
- Pacific Heights
- Potrero Hill
- Russian Hill
- The Tenderloin
- Union Square
- Western Addition
- San Leandro
- Union City
- Castro Valley
- San Lorenzo
San Mateo County
- Daly City
- Foster City
- Half Moon Bay
- Menlo Park
- Portola Valley
- Redwood City
- San Bruno
- San Carlos
- San Mateo
- South San Francisco
Santa Clara County
- Los Altos
- Los Altos Hills
- Los Gatos
- Monte Sereno
- Morgan Hill
- Mountain View
- Palo Alto
- San Jose
- Santa Clara
*CALIFORNIA SOURCED RECYCLABLES
To recycle Computer CRT Monitors, TVs, Laptop Computers, and Flat Screen Monitors for FREE, you must declare that the equipment is California sourced purchased and used in California. To make this declaration, you must provide your name and physical address (P.O. Boxes not acceptable) for a State of California form. Since the recycling of these items is funded by a State tax, the State has to ensure that it is only funding recycling to California residents and businesses. Non-California Sourced CRT Monitors, TVs, Laptop Computers, and Flat Screen Monitors cost 50¢ / lb to recycle.
Cash, VISA, Mastercard, American Express credit/debit cards and business checks are accepted for payment. No personal checks will be accepted.